UNDP South Africa Internship 2022 for Graduates:
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
|Location :||Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA|
|Application Deadline :||06-Apr-22 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||2d 11h 32m|
|Additional Category :||Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 months|
The governance programme contributes to strengthening service delivery, promoting democratic governance and gender equality and women’s empowerment through programmatic interventions that aim to build a capable, ethical and developmental state that is fit for purpose. It seeks to do by:
- Supporting the consolidation of public sector reforms through targeted institutional strengthening across national, provincial and municipal levels (leadership development, innovations, improved planning);
- Supporting oversight and accountability mechanisms through the capacity strengthening of legislative & oversight institutions like the Public Service Commission and Parliament, and promotion of good governance practices
- Deepening public participation and accountability through civic education, peer to peer learning, and enhancing the involvement of women and youth in electoral democracy and local governance, working closely with the elections commission of South Africa, and SA local government association.
- Deepening social cohesion in the country through a programmatic framework between government, social partners, and general society
- Supporting the Country office, the government and the private sector to mainstream gender and HIV (where relevant) in laws, policies and programmes.
The unit is hereby seeking a suitable candidate to work as an Intern in the programme to assist in the rapid execution of its programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports Governance Programme team on project with the Elections Commission which focuses on building a more inclusive and innovative democracy and protecting South Africans’ constitutional right to fair and free elections. Project areas include civic education focused on youth (with a focus on social entrepreneurship and peer to peer learning), expanding the domestic electoral observation sector, mainstreaming gender throughout the electoral process, and supporting the use of innovation in the electoral processes
- Supports the Governance Programme team on implementation of the Building State Capability project whose focus on professionalisation of the public service; supporting use of data and strengthening planning for effective implementation at national and sub-national levels, and strengthening oversight of service delivery improvement at promotion of public administration values in line with Chapter 10 of the South African Constitution
- Assists the Governance programme’s contribution to the UN Country Team’s Joint activities
- Expedite project implementation systematically through discussions and correspondences as well as field visits and analysis of periodic project progress reports,
- Information and knowledge management including dissemination to project stakeholders and organizing relevant dialogue sessions and meetings
- Capturing and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals,
- Participate in meetings and ensure that plans, activities and resources are optimally coordinated with all partners and relevant programmes/projects
- Draft terms of reference as directed and for final review by the programme manager
- Above average understanding and knowledge of public policy issues in a developing country context
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform in a culturally diverse environment
- Ability and evidence to get things done
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Good writing and analytical skills, and ability to package detailed and complex information into simple formats for a diverse audience
Required Skills and Experience
- Currently enrolled for the final year or completed a Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Development, Political Science, Law, Public Administration, or other related social and economic sciences and management fields.
- Functional and general requirements:
- Computer literate in standard software applications;
- Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNDP, and have a personal commitment to UNDP’s Statement of Purpose and to the ideals of the UN Charter; and
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Proficiency in English and working knowledge of at least one local language
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- Interns must provide proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for education programmes;
- Applicants should indicate which months they are available part- and/or full time and when they complete their studies (if still enrolled);
- Interns need to make own arrangements for travel, VISA, accommodation, etc
How to Apply for UNDP South Africa Internship.
It is important to go through all application requirements before applying.