St Mary’s University MA Social Justice and Public Service Scholarship 2022: St Mary’s MA in Social Justice and Public Service integrates practical experience with theoretical and applied understanding of social justice to create a multi-disciplinary course ideal for anyone with career aspirations in the NGO, voluntary and charity sectors.
We are excited to offer one full tuition fee waiver for a student beginning the course in September 2022.
St Mary’s University MA Social Justice and Public Service.
Gain a thorough understanding of the applied and theoretical aspects of social justice and apply your knowledge through a practical service-learning project integrated into the degree. In this unique Master’s degree you will:
- Undertake work in the service of the community with a charity – this can be volunteering or paid work. If you are already working or volunteering for a charity, this service will count as part of your degree.
- Choose modules from multiple disciplines related to applied social justice including in areas such as international development, education, human trafficking, applied politics, business, charity management, bio-ethics and Catholic social teaching.
Why study Social Justice and Public Service?
This course the first Master’s degree in the UK devoted to service-learning that integrates a practical volunteering and/or paid experience at the service of the community with theoretical and applied understanding of social justice.
This degree suits anyone aspiring to work in – or already working in – the ever increasing NGO, voluntary and charity sectors.
Why St Mary’s University?
St Mary’s is a welcoming university of around 6000 students from over 90 different countries and is ranked in the top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality and top 5 for Student Experience (2022 Good University Guide). The University has a proud history of teaching and research in public policy, humanitarian action, and managing charitable organisations.
Established in 1850 and with a distinctive Catholic identity, St Mary’s welcomes students of all faiths and no faith. However, our teaching and research is founded on our Catholic values, particularly social justice and the common good, and this course builds on our tradition of preparing our students to be agents of change in their community.
This multidisciplinary postgraduate degree allows students to explore a wide range of topics in the social sciences and development studies, however, all students will take the Social Justice from Theory to Practice module which will be taught across both semesters, helping students to apply their skills on placement, and to prepare for future leadership roles.
Eligibility | St Mary’s University MA Social Justice and Public Service Scholarship.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must hold a conditional or unconditional offer for the course by the 7th June 2022. Please see the course page for details of how to apply to St Mary’s.
How to Apply St Mary’s University MA Social Justice and Public Service Scholarship 2022.
Please complete the online application form to apply for this scholarship. The priority application deadline is 7th June 2022. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis after that date if the scholarship has not yet been awarded. Applicants are advised to apply by the priority deadline if at all possible.
Applications will be judged on past academic performance, as evidenced by qualifications submitted during the St Mary’s application process, and the personal statement submitted with the application. This statement is on the topic of
- ‘How I have contributed to promoting social justice in my life so far’ or
- ‘How I would like to contribute to promoting social justice when I have finished this programme’.
Please see the application form for full details
Scholarship Terms and Conditions
1. St Mary’s University will waive 100% of the 2022/23 MA Social Justice and Public Service tuition fees for the recipient of this scholarship. This will either be at the home or overseas fee rate, depending on the successful candidate’s fee status.
2. Applicants will need to hold a conditional or unconditional offer from St Mary’s for the MA Social Justice and Public Service by the 7th June 2022 for their scholarship applications to be considered.
3. Applicants holding conditional offers must meet the conditions of their offers by the University’s enrolment deadline to receive this scholarship. Applicants needing Student Route visas must additionally meet their offer conditions by the University’s CAS deadline in order to remain eligible.
3. This award is open to new MA applicants only. Students transferring from another St Mary’s postgraduate programme are not eligible for this scholarship.
4. The scholarship recipient is required to study the MA Social Justice and Public Service full-time. Part-time students are not eligible for this scholarship.
3. This scholarship is only valid for the 2022/23 academic year and cannot be deferred.
4. This scholarship is only applied to the first year of study and will not be extended to subsequent years. Please note that the normal duration of the full-time MA is one academic year (12 calendar months).
5. This scholarship will be applied in the form of a tuition fee waiver and cannot be exchanged for cash.
6. St Mary’s University awards this scholarship on the basis that all information and documentation provided to Admissions is factual and correct. The award will be revoked if the application to study contains fraudulent information.
7. In accordance with St Mary’s regulations, this scholarship may not be held in conjunction with any other St Mary’s University scholarship or alumni discount as only one scholarship can be applied per student record. Applicants who are assessed as eligible for more than one scholarship should reject one of their awards. Alternatively, applicant records will be automatically adjusted at enrolment stage.
8. By accepting this scholarship, applicants agree to represent St Mary’s University as an ambassador throughout their degree programme. Ambassadorial activities may include providing testimonials or content for social media and other marketing activities, and participating at University Open Days or international promotional events (in-person or virtually). This condition is subject to class timetabling and availability of the individual.
9. The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of 1) past academic performance according to documents submitted for admission to St Mary’s University and 2) the personal statement submitted in this application.
10. The university reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship at any time should you behave in a manner that brings either yourself, or the university, into disrepute, or you are subject to any academic or non-academic misconduct procedures.