Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom, and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Intern – Research and Campaigns
Type: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 6 months
Directorate: Amnesty National Office
No of weekly working hours: 40
- To assist in monitoring human rights developments; supporting campaigns and growth activities; and carrying out research in various areas of focus including but not limited to arbitrary arrests, unlawful detentions, unlawful killings, women’s rights, media freedom, civic space, freedom of expression, forced evictions, torture and cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, discrimination, and access to justice.
About The Role
- The research and campaign intern will assist in monitoring human rights developments; supporting campaigns and growth activities; and carrying out research in various areas of focus including but not limited to arbitrary arrests, unlawful detentions, unlawful killings, women’s rights, media freedom, civic space, freedom of expression, forced evictions, torture and cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, discrimination, and access to justice.
- The suitable candidate must have demonstrated interest in human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc, and must have a flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks.
- Assist with research and investigations on the human rights situation in Nigeria.
- Monitor human rights developments including decisions by national, regional, and international human rights bodies.
- Support in the development, organization, and implementation of campaigning, communication, human rights education, and growth activities by searching for and collating relevant information, developing short notes or briefings, and documenting materials in a systematic manner for easy retrieval.
- Assist in the planning of meetings, seminars, workshops, compiling lists, and logistical support as necessary.
- Support with processing incoming inquiries, petitions, letters, and other administrative tasks.
- Draft letters, reports, blog posts, articles, and informative pieces for internal and external audiences.
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work.
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties. Need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: None
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the researchers, campaigners and the Finance and Office Manager; West and Central Africa Regional Office (WARO); International Secretariat (IS).
Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in a relevant field or relevant professional qualifications.
- Degrees in Gender / Women’s Studies, Social Sciences, Law would be an advantage.
- A Master’s Degree in Development, Gender / Women’s Studies / Feminist Studies is a plus
- Demonstrated interest in the human rights of women, gender equality, and non-discrimination including an awareness of the topical issues in these areas e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multitask, and work to deadlines to achieve results
- Excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organization’s core behaviors and competencies.
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and multimedia tools like Canva is a plus.
24th February 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role is based in Nigeria. Only those legally authorized to work in Nigeria are advised to apply for this job.
- There will be a 3-month probation period for all postholders.
- We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.